Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content
Fall Courses Update

Fall Semester delay due to fires — starts August 31. Learn More Register Now

Fire Safety/Evacuation Center

Wildfire resources for impacted students, employees, and County residents. Learn More


Resources for students and information about our response. Learn More

students smiling

Financial Aid Applications

  • Federal School Code: 001124
  • FAFSA Worksheet- to help you organize your infomation before completing the FAFSA on the web

Fall 2020- Summer 2021

A new FAFSA or Dream Application becomes available on October 1st every year. 2018 Tax information will be required for the 2020-2021 FAFSA and Dream Application. All students must file a FAFSA or Dream Act application to be eligible for financial aid.

California College Promise Grant

FAFSA Website and Application

  • For more information on the application process and filing a FAFSA go to

Dream Act Application

This application is for students who are not US Citizens or permanent residents. For more information on the application process and filing a Dream Act Application, see"Dream Act". Apply online at


How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?

Financial aid application process and deadlines:
  • A new FAFSA or Dream Application becomes available on October 1st every year.
  • ALL students must apply for aid each school year.
  • Students should apply during the Spring for the following Fall term.
  • Cabrillo's school year begins with the Fall term and ends with the Summer session.
  • Complete your application before March 2nd Priority filing deadline to be considered for Cal Grant, Federal Work-Study and FSEOG. (Click here for how to file)
  • To apply for a Cal Grant, students must also file a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form before March 2nd.

After March 2nd

  • If you missed the March 2nd priority filing deadline, STILL APPLY! Complete your FAFSA or Dream Application now (Click here for how to file).
  • If you are attending a Community College and want to apply for a Cal Grant but missed the March 2nd priority deadline, file your FAFSA/Dream Application and the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by September 2.
Step One: Complete a FAFSA or Dream Act Application

Complete a FAFSA online or Dream Act Application

  • All students applying for financial aid must complete the FAFSA or Dream Act Application.
  • Be sure to list Cabrillo College Federal School Code 001124, in Step 6 of the FAFSA.
  • The FAFSA or Dream Act Application results are sent to you in a Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • If you need help filing online you may contact our office or attend a workshop.
  • Additional documentation will be requested by the financial aid office once your application has been received (see Step Two).

See our FAQs page for frequently asked questions on applying.

All students applying for financial aid must complete a FAFSA/ Dream Act App each school year.

Once the federal processor receives your application, an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is determined. The results are mailed to you in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR). You will receive your SAR (by email if you provided an email address on your FAFSA application) the next business day if you filed online, in about 2-3 weeks if you filed by mail. The EFC is located on the top right corner of the SAR. See our Eligibility page for more information>>

Student Aid Report (SAR)

As soon as you receive your SAR, look it over carefully to make sure your information is correct. Check the following:

  • spelling of your name (this should identically match the name on your social security card)
  • social security number
  • birth date
  • income information
  • academic level/goal

If no corrections are necessary, keep the SAR for your records. If you need to make corrections, do them online or correct and sign your paper SAR and mail Part Two back to the Federal Processor. If you have questions, call or stop by the Financial Aid Office.

Step Two: Complete a file

You will be required to submit additional form(s) or documents to complete your file. You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office with a link to log into your MyVerify account. After clicking the link, you will log in using your Cabrillo student ID and your WebAdvisor password. If a link was not sent to you, visit

Once you have logged in a Privacty Policy will pop up, you must read throught it and to move forward, hit the
"I Accept" button. Once you have confirmed your account, you will be brought to the home page. Here you will see tasks that will need to be completed in order to send your file to the review stage.

For step-by-step instructions, click on the MyVerify Guide.

Keep your email, phone number and mailing address current through WebAdvisor. If you do not receive or respond to correspondence, your financial aid will not be processed.

Authorization To Release Information

Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we cannot release student financial aid information to anyone other than you, the student. If you wish your information to be released to someone else, you must request and submit an Authorization to Release Info eform. To access this eform, you must have a FAFSA and current application for admission on file with Cabrillo.

Step Three: Receiving your aid

Processing Timelines

The Financial Aid Office begins processing applications in April for students who have met the March 2nd priority filing deadline. After you submit all documents required for your financial aid file, it is reviewed and eligibility is determined. Processing time is 4-6 weeks. If additional documents are needed, you will receive an email letting you know to log into your MyVerify account. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Award Notification

An Award Letter notification will be emailed to you after we have reviewed your academic progress and your file. For more information on this process read our Eligibility page.

AWARDS ARE BASED ON FULL-TIME ENROLLMENT. The actual amount received will differ if your enrollment status changes (see chart below).

Enrollment Status Award Amount
12+ units = Full-time 100%
9-11.99 units = 3/4 time 75%
6-8.99 units = 1/2 time 50%
<6 units - less than 1/2 time Less than 25%


You must maintain a current email, phone number and mailing address with the college. You can check/update your address in WebAdvisor. Bankmobile Cards are mailed to the address on file.

Federal regulations require that all types of financial aid be coordinated. You must inform Financial Aid if you receive any aid not listed on your award notification such as scholarships, stipends, vocational rehabilitation. A revision to your financial aid award may be necessary.


Disbursements/Enrollment Verification

Amounts on award letters are based on FULL-TIME enrollment (12+ units). Your actual award amount will be less if you are enrolled less than full-time and/or if you owe student charges. You must maintain a current email and mailing address with the college. Awards are deposited to the selected refund preference you choose with Bankmobile. If you do not make a selection, you will receive a check to your address in WebAdvisor after 21 days.

Undocumented Students (i.e. Dream Act, AB540)

Undocumented students should NOT choose a refund selection preference. Instead of the funds being deposited to the selected refund preference, a check will be mailed after 21 days to your address in WebAdvisor.

Enrollment Verification

To be paid for a class, you must be enrolled in it by the end of the first two weeks of the term. This includes special studies, short-term, and weekend classes.

Being on a waitlist does not count as enrolled.

Award Disbursements

Awards are deposited to the selected preference you choose with Bankmobile. Note: Undocumented students see section above.

1st Disbursements - dates depend on when you are awarded, AND awards will be based on your actual enrollment status at the time of payment.

    Spring Disbursements - students who were awarded in the Fall term, are enrolled for Spring AND have met SAP requirements will receive their aid within the first week of the term.

No adjustments are made for special studies or units which were added or dropped after the second week of the term.

2nd Disbursements - students awarded before the midpoint of a term will be paid in two disbursements.

Cal Grant and/or SEOG awards are not included in the first disbursement.

Students awarded after the midpoint of the term will receive one disbursement.

For Summer term, no adjustments are made once you have been awarded.

Dependency Status

The Federal Government expects students and their families to contribute toward educational expenses. Students are considered dependent and are required to provide parent(s) information on the FAFSA unless:

  • You are or will be 24 years old by January 1st of the calendar year; or
  • You are married; or
  • You have children who receive more than half their support from you; or
  • You have dependents (other than your spouse or children) that live with you and receive more than half their support from you; or
  • Your parents are deceased or you were a ward of the court since age 13; or
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces; or
  • You are currently on Active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces; or
  • You are enrolled in a masters or doctorate program; or
  • You were in foster care since turning age 13
  • You are or were an emancipated minor
  • You are or were in legal guardianship
  • You are homeless or at risk of being homeless

Students who meet one of the above criteria are considered independent and, if married, are also required to provide spouse's information on the FAFSA.


Students with adverse or unusual circumstances may be considered for a dependency status change by filing a Dependency Appeal with the Financial Aid Office. This may be done after you complete your FAFSA. If you have any questions in regards to this process, please visit the Special Circumstances page.



If you drop units during the add/drop period and this results in a change to your enrollment status, you may owe money. This is especially true if you drop below half-time status.

For example:

You are enrolled in 12 units (full time) at the beginning of the term:

You receive $825 PELL (50% of a full-time award).

If you drop to three-quarters time (9-11.5 units), you would receive $413 for the second-half disbursement (instead of $825) and would not owe an overpayment.

If you drop to half-time (6-8.5 units), you would not receive a second-half disbursement and you would not owe an overpayment.

If you drop to less than half-time (less than 6 units), you will owe all or a portion of what you received.

If you owe an overpayment, you have 45 days to repay the college in full or it may be reported to the Department of Education (DOE). You will not be able to register for classes at Cabrillo until the overpayment has been paid. If reported to the DOE, you will not be able to receive further financial aid from any college.


If you never attend a class and this results in a change of your enrollment status, then your Pell grant award must be recalculated. This will result in you owing part or all of that award money back to the college.

You have 30 days to repay the college in full or it may be reported to the Department of Education (DOE). You will not be able to register for classes at Cabrillo until the overpayment has been paid. If reported to the DOE, you will not be able to receive further financial aid from any college.

Grant and Loan Awards

Awards will posted to your refund preference through Bankmobile Refund Choices. Some programs require that the student sign for the receipt of the check. Those checks will be held at Student Accounts in the Welcome Center and you will be notified.

Note: Keep your email and mailing address current with the college.

Student Charges

Any student charges for the current term will be deducted from your financial aid and/or scholarship.


If you have been awarded a scholarship, it will be disbursed to you before the start of the term unless enrollment verification is required. Then it will be disbursed within two weeks of the receipt of enrollment verification.

Federal Work-Study Checks

Federal Work-Study checks are posted to your refund preference through Bankmobile Refund Choices on the 10th of each month based on hours worked the previous month.

Lost Checks/Checks Not Received

If a check you received from Student Accounts in the Welcome Center(i.e. Chafee or Work-Study) is lost, go to the Welcome Center(SAC East) and initiate a stop payment. Reissued checks can take up to six weeks.

If the check is from Bankmobile(due to you not activating your Bankmobile account and waiting 21 days) and the check is lost or not received, then you will have to contact Bankmobile at 1-877-327-9515.

Required Identification

You are required to present one type of valid photo ID (such as a California driver's license or California Identification Card) each time you pick up a check.


Tips for completing the FAFSA

The easiest and fastest way to apply for federal and state aid is by using FAFSA on the Web at It is available in both Spanish and English and you can apply around the clock, seven days a week, starting on October 1st of each year.


  1. File online. If you need help filing online contact our office.
  2. Use your legal name as it appears on your Social Security card. Nicknames will cause delays.
  3. Apply for an FSA ID so you can sign the FAFSA electronically. Dependent students can have a parent apply for an FSA ID. The FSA ID can also be used to make corrections to your FAFSA.
  4. Before starting, read the "Before Beginning a FAFSA" steps at which lists what information is needed.
  5. Have all necessary documents on hand when completing the FAFSA such as your federal tax returns.
  6. Read the questions carefully.
  7. Do not leave any blank fields. Use a zero if the question does not apply to you.
  8. Review the completed FAFSA thoroughly before submitting it and keep a printout for your records.
  9. Remember to sign the FAFSA and obtain all other required signatures. You cannot receive aid without the required signature(s).
  10. Meet deadlines! Even if you have not filed your tax return, use estimates based on your W2's and make corrections to your FAFSA online once you have filed your taxes.
  11. Dependent students: if the parent responsible for completing the FAFSA has remarried, income and asset information for the new spouse must be reported.
  12. If you will have a child born before or during the award year (Fall through Summer sessions) and will be your legal dependent, the child should be counted as a member of the household.
  13. Be sure to report any money received or paid on your behalf.
  14. Do not include grant or scholarship money if you did not report them to the IRS.
  15. If you can provide an e-mail address, you will get a message confirming that your FAFSA on the Web was received.
  16. Avoid peak hours; you will get a faster response, especially after 8 p.m.
  17. To meet the deadline for Cal Grants, you must submit your FAFSA by the March 2 priority deadline for each year, but you are strongly encouraged not to wait until the last minute.

If you do not have access to a computer, you can attend a workshop or use a computer on campus to file your FAFSA.

Important: The FAFSA application is submitted to the Federal Processor. The Cabrillo Financial Aid office does notprocess your FAFSA application.

Back to top

What is an FSA ID?

An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( FAFSA®) at

If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child's FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address.

Your FSA ID is used to sign legally binding documents electronically. It has the same legal status as a written signature. Don't give your FSA ID to anyone—not even to someone helping you fill out the FAFSA. Sharing your FSA ID could put you at risk of identity theft!

Back to Top

    Was this page helpful?   

© 2019 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Aptos Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100