Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content

COVID-19 and Fall Courses Update

Shelter In Place: Most Classes/Services Online through Fall Semester

Contact Information

Coordinator: Desha Staley-Raatior
Phone: 831.479.6413

Fri, 8:30am-2pm

Location: SAC West by Bookstore
Upper Aptos Campus
6500 Soquel Ave
Aptos, CA 95003

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions


I registered for the job board, but haven’t received an email with a password.

It usually takes 24 to 48 hours for your account to be approved because Student Employment has to verify that you are a current student or alumni.

Why can’t I log in to my account?

If you’ve forgotten your username or password and have tried multiple times to log in, your account may have been soft blocked. Please call us at 831.479.6413 and we can unblock your account and or send you a new password.

Where can I find a job that’s flexible around my schedule?

Generally, on-campus jobs (at Cabrillo) are flexible, although hours and shifts depend on the department hiring. There are also many off-campus employers (businesses and individuals) offering part-time work that are willing to work around your schedule. Many employers post the days, times, or hours they would like someone to work for them.

What kinds of jobs are on the job board?

The job postings vary week to week, but there are all sorts of industries including nursing and personal care, business, art, construction, general labor, horticulture, and more.

How do I find work on campus?

First, you need to be a current student enrolled in at least 6 units (this can be for the current semester or the upcoming semester, if you aren’t currently working on campus).

Second, you need to find a department that’s hiring. The best way to do this is to check the Online Job Board and use the advanced search option to search for on-campus department funded or Work Study jobs. You can also come to the Student Employment Office and we can help you search

Third, you need to fill out a “Temporary/Hourly and Student Employment Application.” This can be downloaded and printed here or you can pick one up from Student Employment. Take this application to the department with the open position(s) and give it to the staff.

Finally, if you’re a qualified candidate, you will be contacted for an interview.

What is Cooperative Work Experience Education?

Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) is a structured method of combining classroom-based education with practical work experience while earning units. CWEE can be paid or unpaid and is always supervised by a professional in the students' chosen field of study. For information on this program, contact Program Coordinator Matthew Weis at

What is Work Study? How do I qualify?

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program was created to provide part-time employment for college students who qualify through the Federal Financial Aid process.

As a result of a student's financial aid application (FAFSA), a student may be awarded FWS based on financial need. Priority application filing is between January 2 and March 2 to be considered for a FWS award for the following fall academic term.

Students new to work study should put their name on the waitlist by going to the site here.

Federal Work-Study jobs are only available in on-campus departments. There are no off-campus placements.


Student Employees

Where do I go to view the safety training?

You can view the safety training online here.

How can I tell if I’ve completed a job training?

You can view your required and completed trainings under the “My Job Trainings” section of your Web Advisor for Employees page.

You can also report you’ve finished a job training by clicking the “Report Completed Training” link and checking the box to the left of the training listed on the page.

When I try to do the Kognito training online, why won’t the video load/why won’t the program launch?

You may need to set your browser to “allow pop-ups” because the video is trying to play in a new window.

Do I need to do anything after I complete the Kognito training?

Yes, print out your certificate of completion and bring it to the Student Employment Center.

Where can I view and print a copy of my paychecks?

You can view your Payroll Pay Advices via the “Employee” section of your WebAdvisor. When you log in, click the maroon “EMPLOYEES: Click here” button instead of the blue “Students” button.

Note: If you don’t have the “Employees” button in your main Web Advisor menu when you log in, please contact Sue Torres in HR at 831.479.6182 or

Can I work more than one job on campus?

Yes, you can work more than one job on campus. However, the total number of hours you work weekly may not exceed 19 1/2 hours a week, more than 8 hours in a day, more than 5 days in a row Monday through Sunday. If working more than one job, it is important that your supervisors are aware of your other job so your schedule is not in violation of these requirements.

When do I get paid?

Student employees are paid on the 10th of every month following the date that your time card is turned in. Please note, you are only scheduled for payment after the Student Employment Center has processed your paperwork. Payroll periods generally run from the 20th of one month to the 19th of the following month. There are some exceptions to this in December and June. Check with your supervisor.

Can I get overtime?

Since students are not allowed to work more than 8 hours a day, or more than 19 1/2 hours a week, students are not paid overtime wages. Students who violate this requirement may be administratively terminated.

When do I get a raise?

Student and hourly job pay rates are based on the requirements of the position that is listed. There are no raises. Your pay is based on the job you were hired to do, not the length of time you have been doing the job. If possible, you may qualify for an open higher level position after you have gained experience on the job.

Do I have to do new hiring paperwork every semester?

Not necessarily. New paperwork is required at the beginning of each fiscal year. You must complete new paperwork as of July 1st if you are re-hired for the next academic year.

What happens if I drop below 6 units?

You must stop working immediately if you drop below 6 units at Cabrillo College. You must maintain enrollment in 6 or more units to meet work eligibility requirements. Failure to complete 6 units with a passing grade or continuing to work after dropping below 6 units may preclude future employment as a student employee.

Can I be fired?

Yes, any generally accepted reason to discontinue employment may result in your employment with the college being immediately terminated, including:

  • Misrepresenting yourself on your application or hiring materials

  • Poor performance

  • Failure to work scheduled hours

  • Lack of available funding

  • Not following College rules and regulations

  • Submitting false hours on a time card

  • Working more than the hours allowed by the Student Employment Program

Employees are at-will and can be let go without cause.

Where can I park?

Staff parking is not available for Student Employees. Student Employees are restricted to parking in the parking lots designated for students.

Can I take a break during my scheduled hours?

Yes, Cabrillo employees are granted a paid 15 minute break in the middle of their shift if they work at least a 4 hour shift. Lunch breaks are provided per LABOR CODE SECTION 512. (a) An employer may not hire an employee for a work period of more than five hours per day without providing the employee with a meal period of not less than 30 minutes. However, if the total work period per day of the employee is no more than 6 hours, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent of both the employer and employee.

Why do I have to be fingerprinted?

California law and Cabrillo College policy require it. Not all positions require that you be fingerprinted. Work examples which may require you to be fingerprinted are positions requiring you to work with or around young children or the disabled, tutoring, cash handling positions, any work for Campus Police, or positions where you work with confidential information.

How am I supervised?

All student and hourly employees must be supervised by contract staff, faculty, or management. Hourly and student employees are not allowed to be supervised by other hourly or student employees. Your supervisor or their contract employee designee must be available on campus whenever the student or hourly employee is working.

What should I do if I am injured on the job?

All on-the-job accidents must be reported to your supervisor immediately, whether or not you seek medical attention. Regardless of how minor you may think the injury is, an accident report form must be completed. If your supervisor does not have the proper form, or is unaware of the proper procedure, please contact the Student Services office or the Student Health Center.

My supervisor occasionally needs to leave campus while I am working. In an emergency, whom do I report to?

Your supervisor should "appoint" a temporary supervisor who is a regular contract employee of the college (not another student or hourly employee) any time that they are not physically present on campus and you are working. The temporary supervisor should be informed whenever they are responsible for you, and you should know who they are and how to contact them. Student employees are not authorized to open or close facilities and are not issued keys.

I have a computer at home, why can't I do my work there?

Due to liability concerns and Worker's Compensation and Cal OSHA issues, student employees are not allowed to work at home.

I work in two different jobs that occasionally need me to work a combined work-day of over 8 hours total, or more than 20 hours a week. I don't understand why I can't do this if I am needed.

Due to a variety of factors, including labor law, overtime pay, union contracts, college policies, and educational codes, student employees are not allowed to work more than 8 hours a day (total hours worked, no matter how many different jobs are worked), 19 1/2 hours a week, and 5 days Monday through Sunday. You may be terminated from your position for violating these work-hour requirements.

When school is not in session, and with advance authorization, students may be able to work up to (but not exceeding) 30 hours a week if they have funding available.


On-Campus Employers

What are the unit requirements for students who wish to work during summer or winter break?

To work during breaks, students must be either pre-enrolled in at least 6 unites for the following full semester or enrolled in 1.5 units for the 4 week summer session, or 2 units if enrolled in the 6 week summer session.

I want to give a student employee a raise, my budget number has changed, or the student has received/lost FWS (Federal Work Study) status. What do I do?

You need to fill out a “Student Employee Change” form, which you can get from the Student Employment Office or on the website under Forms.


Off-Campus Employers

I just registered for the Online Job Board or posted a job. Why haven’t I received an email with a password so I can log on?

If you’ve never posted with us before, it can take 2 to 3 days for us to approve. You should receive a call from us to verify your company/business/job information, after which your post will be approved.

Why hasn’t anyone applied for my job?

There are many possibilities, including:

  • Your post is less than a day old, or only a few days old. Students often aren’t on the Online Job Board every day, although we have over 2800 students currently registered.

  • Your job description is not detailed enough. Students need to know exactly what they’ll be doing in order to determine if they are capable to do the job or not.

  • If it’s a specialized position requiring a very specific skill set or qualifications, this can greatly narrow the pool of applicants.

  • The pay rate may be perceived to be too low, especially if your job is only a few hours each week.

  • Your contact information may contain errors. Please check your account information by clicking on your name in the top right, and clicking “Account Information.”

  • The hours or schedule may not be flexible enough. Many students are taking multiple classes and have to schedule work around them.


    Was this page helpful?   

© 2019 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Aptos Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100